However, there are different types of synthetic slings, and knowing the difference between them is important when choosing the correct synthetic sling for your specific application.
Popular Types of Synthetic Slings
Some of the most popular types of synthetic slings include:
- Flat Web Slings – Cost-effective, easy-to-handle lifting accessories made from high-tenacity polyester webbing, flat web slings offer an excellent grip on all types of loading. Not only are they durable, but they are lighter, acid- and bleaching-resistant, and able to absorb heavy shocks. Flat web slings also do not conduct electricity.
- Round Slings – Round slings are made from highly tenacious polyester webbing and color-coded to help users easily identify their rated capacity. These slings can safely lift heavy loads and secure them with ease. You can also use round slings when lifting loads with uneven contours. Furthermore, round slings are durable and have a low initial cost.
Synthetic Sling Usage Tips
Before choosing a synthetic sling for your desired application, you should check their chemical and physical properties as well as adhere to the following.
- Do Not Exceed the Working Load Limits. Every sling has a specified rated capacity or working load limit that you should not exceed when lifting or moving objects.
- Adhere to Low Heat Resistance. Most of these slings have low heat resistance, which makes them fail in high-heat environments. If you are operating in a high-heat environment, use high-heat resistant synthetic slings, as they are specifically made for such environments.
- Avoid Prolonged UV Exposure. Synthetic slings are damaged by prolonged exposure to UV light. Store your synthetic slings in cool, dark, and dry environments.
- Always Perform a Visual Inspection. Make it a habit to check each sling for visual damage, such as abrasions and cuts before every use. This habit ensures safety during use.
- Use Edge Guards. Even though synthetic slings have good cut and abrasion resistance, you should take extra caution by using edge guards and corner protectors where necessary.
Synthetic slings have several desirable properties that make them suitable for most hoisting, lifting, and rigging applications in various industries. By following proper usage guidelines, you will reap the maximum benefits out of these important lifting accessories.
High-Quality Synthetic Slings for Every Application
At Certified Slings & Supply, we provide the best quality slings for various industrial applications ranging from mining and shipping to construction and other heavy-lifting industries. Whatever you’re looking for, our team of professionals is ready to advise you on the most suitable sling for your application.